GET PUMPED TEACHER FRIEND!
We are in the back to school spirit and we will be RAFFLING away TWO FREE year subscriptions to BerryWing’s Scan to Web app in this exciting post! NO MORE HOMEWORK COLLECTION FOR YOU! Details below 🙂
Assuming you DO need to assign homework, what should be done with it? Are you really going to collect and grade it every SINGLE day? No way! The paper piles up! It is too overwhelming, and I have stopped doing it.
If your bag is stuffed with student work, DEFINITELY check out BerryWing’s Scan to Web smart phone app. It’s a new, updated version! You can easily save the data into a Google Sheet by using Google Forms.
This could be your new workflow:
- Walk around the class, verify assignment completion.
- With your phone or IPAD, scan a bar code taped to each student’s notebook to record credit or have a spreadsheet of codes on your clipboard to scan.
- Go to Google Drive and view your Google Sheets instantly.
You can then use VLOOKUP in the Google Sheets to see who has not turned in their homework assignment.
Are you ready to save time? Here we go.
STEP ONE: BEGIN BY CREATING STUDENT BAR CODES (*YOU CAN SKIP THIS STEP IF YOU ALREADY HAVE BAR CODES TO USE.)
1. Go to https://berrywing.com/barcode/ and type each student name into the barcode generator.
2. You can create several at a time with a formula in Google Sheets.
A. Simply open https://berrywing.com/barcode/
B. Then scroll down to the bottom of the page, past the barcode generator section for more information.
STEP TWO: PRINT THE BAR CODE (or USE BAR CODES YOU ALREADY HAVE CREATED)
1. After each barcode is created, it can be copied (or screenshot) into Word.
2. Print on label paper (or regular paper) and distribute to each student.
3. Students can tape the code onto their notebooks.
FYI: My sample class above has only 2 students.
STEP THREE: GO TO GOOGLE FORMS AND SET UP YOUR ASSIGNMENT
Next, using your phone or web browser, go into Google Forms and set up your class.
1. Next to the question, change the drop down menu option to Short Answer Text.
2. Simply write down what homework assignment is due. (In my example I wrote, “Who did Friday’s homework?”)
STEP FOUR: Hit SEND Form
STEP FIVE: SHORTEN THE URL
1. Find the URL for the form and hit “shorten the URL”
2. Go back to https://berrywing.com/barcode/ and copy and paste the link to create a QR code.
STEP SIX: INSERT YOUR GOOGLE FORMS URL INTO THE SCAN TO WEB APP
1. Now go back to the app Scan to web
2. Hit the wheel icon on the bottom for Barcode and App Settings
3. It takes you to a page that asks you to insert your google form’s URL
4. Scan the QR code for your google form
STEP SEVEN: SCAN YOUR STUDENTS’ BARCODES
1. Select the scanner option on the UPPER right hand corner
2. Next scan student barcodes into your form
3. Hit submit
– You will see the note “your response has been recorded”
4. See how easily they pop up into your Google Form as you go
*OPTIONAL AWESOME FEATURE TO KEEP IN MIND: THE MICROPHONE!
It is possible to enter a student name with Speak to Web. You need to say the prompt and the value. Please note that just saying the name alone is not enough.
1. Hit the microphone option next to the scanner
2. Allow “Scan to Web” to have access to your microphone
3. Repeat your prompt
Sample below would be:
“Who did Friday’s homework? Bobby” “Period 5”
STEP EIGHT: ASSESS WHO DID THEIR HOMEWORK!
1. Go to Google Drive and view your responses instantly.
2. Download them and view your Google Sheets instantly. Click on the green Google Sheets icon on the right corner.
3. Create a new spreadsheet.
4. You can then use VLOOKUP in the Google Sheets and see who has turned in their homework assignment.
It is all in real time and you can assess the data automatically!
VOILA! PAPERLESS HOMEWORK!
If you are a visual learner, here is a video where this is covered in detail:
Give it a whirl! Your first 50 trial scans are free, and for $10 per year you have unlimited scans – $0.99 a month; or $9.99 a year.
BUT WAIT… THERE’S MORE!
And now… the moment you have been waiting for!
We will be RAFFLING away TWO FREE year subscriptions to BerryWings Scan to Web app! This giveaway is sponsored by BerryWing! Take a minute to scroll below and enter for a chance to win the app for unlimited scans valued at $9.99 a year!
Here is how to enter:
- Like this post!
- Leave us a note with your how your school year is going so far. The two winners will be randomly chosen by September 30!
FTC Disclosure: This is a sponsored post by BerryWing. All reviews and opinions expressed in this post are based on my personal view.
One thought on “Scan Homework into a Google Sheet Instantly!”
[…] homework verification. Check out the earlier posts to see how simple it is to use this app! SCAN HOMEWORK INTO A GOOGLE SHEET INSTANTLY and 10 WAYS TO SWEETEN YOUR SCHOOL YEAR USING […]